Sunday, April 29, 2007

Working

Sometimes I have to be reminded of how different island life is from the typical American life. I've been working this morning....but it's been quiet here on Howard Street. David stopped by with Lachlan, and since there were no customers I walked outside with them and watched as the young-un pushed a stick through the sand, climbed on graveyard fences, or ran up and down the lane.

Before I knew it, it was noon, so I walked around the corner to my house. David & Lachlan came along, and Julie & Gary were there too. We had plenty of food for lunch -- cold shrimp, cole slaw, salad, homemade rolls, and more.

As we were cleaning up I asked Gary what he was up to today. "Oh," he said, "We biked around the village this morning. I think I'll go out to the dump this afternoon and salvage a few bike parts." I think David will be adding some finishing touches to his new kitchen cabinets this afternoon. I was the only one "really working."

But even I had a few minutes to lie in the hammock before heading back around the corner to the Village Craftsmen. Maybe I'll have customers. Even so, it won't be your typical work day.

This month's newsletter discusses the planned replacement of the seven bridges on Ocracoke Island in early 2008, and explains some of the issues we will face. You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment