Thursday, December 06, 2007

A Few Answers & Photos

Several folks posted comments and/or asked questions this past month. I had configured the journal so that I receive an email notification every time someone posts a comment here. Unfortunately I changed my email address and forgot to make the change on the blog settings. So I wasn't notified when comments were made. I went back through the blogs and am posting replies here.

A reader asked why Michael Lawrence Piland is buried in the Howard (or Howard-Wahab) cemetery. I am sure the reason is that he was married to Lucretia Credle Wahab. But then why is Miss Lucretia not buried in that cemetery? I don't know why. Perhaps she is buried on the mainland. To my knowledge she is not buried on the island. I'll do some research.

I was asked to post some photos. Below are a few pictures of some island Christmas decorations. You can click on any photo to see a large image.

The tree at the OPS museum:



A decorated fence near the lighthouse:



The Preservation museum:



The Pony Island Horse:



One of many community "power pole" snowflakes at night:



And a shot of the James Henry Garrish home. This is the home for which Michael and Paula Schramel won this year's OPS "Old House Award."



And, finally, David & Lachlan at last night's Wassail Party at the OPS museum:



Our latest Newsletter is about the old Howard cemetery on British Cemetery Road. You can read the stories here.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Just wanted to say thank you for posting some pictures & also for the Ocracoke calendar for December. Although I'm not there, I think about you guys all the time. This is a great way to stay up to date with what is going on, especially at Christmas time. God Jul! ("Merry Christmas" in danish) Much love ~ Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:45 AM

    Gladlej Jul, Emma (and Ocracoke...)we miss you both terribly.
    We just had a winter storm with snow & ice and we crave the island in it's peaceful solitude.

    Thank you Philip, for the little window on the island each day or so.

    The Downeys from Missouri

    ReplyDelete