Monday, February 09, 2009

Dolphins & Scallops

Dolphins have been plentiful close offshore. On Friday there were dozens of them feeding & cavorting just beyond the nearest breakers. We followed them (or maybe they followed us; it was hard to tell since there were so many of them) as Amy and I enjoyed an afternoon walk. On Saturday I saw fewer, and they were farther away, but they were out there.

Yesterday I went scalloping again. We found another location (no need for a kayak this time), and they were thick. In one small depression I raked up dozens -- as many as 8 or 10 in every pass of the clam rake. We had no problem collecting our limit (a half bushel per person). I shucked them back home, sitting in the afternoon sunshine. Family and friends stopped by. By pooling resources and cooking, ten of us sat down at my table about 6:30 and feasted on freshly harvested scallops wrapped in bacon, salad, steamed broccoli, rice, southern style biscuits, & fresh fish.

As my Hungarian grandfather always said, "We eat good in America!"

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter provides more information about the majestic live oaks on Ocracoke Island. You can read it here.

To read about Philip's new book, Digging up Uncle Evans, History, Ghost Tales, & Stories from Ocracoke Island, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment