Saturday, April 02, 2011

Orcas

Just the other day a neighbor told me that orcas had been sighted just off shore. I was skeptical. I had never heard of orcas in our waters.

"Oh, yes, it's true. Some people have pictures. Fishermen at Hatteras even posted a video on YouTube," I was told.

Sure enough, I found the video. Take a look yourself. (I never could see the orca taking the tuna from the line, but the video is still very impressive.)

Use this link to go to the YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9fLkLe4JlM

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a list of traditional island remedies. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032111.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Dum-dum-dum-dum.

    (Music from "Jaws")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:45 AM

    Do you think it has anything to do with the oil spill?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it has anything to do with the oil spill. I'm told that orcas live all over the ocean...though they are most common in colder water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:06 PM

    That is unbelievable!!! How cool to have orcas on our coast! I don't think he got to video the actual taking of the tuna. Complete story of their adventure on epicblitz.com Thanks for sharing this awesome info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. debbie s.5:43 PM

    i saw that.. last week maybe? hubby and i thought they were lying till we looked it up and sure enough- they do come down here!

    who'da thunk it?

    ReplyDelete