Saturday, December 03, 2011

The Ferry

This is Bill filling in for Philip today.

Lida and I spent Thanksgiving in Boston with our son and his wife. (We had turkey on the table and wild turkeys in the yard!) After a long two-day drive through NYC and down the Delmarva Peninsula, we finally pulled into line at the Hatteras Ferry dock. A few minutes before 2, we were directed on board. We set our emergency brakes and watched as the ferry backed out onto Pamlico Sound.

Lida looked over at me and said, "Wow, you look like a different person!"

I felt like a different person from the one who had battled bumper to bumper traffic across the George Washington Bridge and stared at miles of rain-soaked road through windshield wipers.
Whenever I get on the ferry to come home, it feels like my blood pressure drops about 20 points. All the stress of driving is replaced with seagulls and pelicans and salt air and a distant horizon of water meeting sky...and sometimes dolphins.

What a nice way to come home!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a brief history of Ocracoke and the Lost Colony. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news112111.htm.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:48 AM

    That's why we enjoy starting our vacation with a ride on SQ or CI ferries- over 2 hours of seagulls, salt air, and no driving to get us in the right frame of mind for Ocracoke. Ahhhhh.... July will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:45 AM

    Plus the ferry has public restrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are two times in my travels when I feel like I am "coming home."

    Northbound on Route 1 when crossing the St. Georges Bridge into Northern New Castle County

    Southbound when boarding the Hatteras Ferry for Ocracoke

    Bear MacDonald

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:29 PM

    Yeah, and they have public restrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:00 PM

    I understand completely how our bodies just suddenly relax when we are aboard the ferry. Glad you made it back safely. Thanks for filling in for Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:49 AM

    I think the restrooms joke has run its course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:39 AM

    Good morning, Bill. I don't know how you did it... I've never even been to Ocracoke...but I'm feeling a little homesick right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. debbie s.11:57 AM

    my body may live on the mainland, but my soul lives in ocracoke .... i can certainly sympathize with how you feel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:39 PM

    Wow, take some Immodium and Detrol, strap on a Depends and come enjoy Ocracoke.

    ReplyDelete